797 Westminster St. Providence, RI 02903
Skills for Rhode Island’s Future is recruiting candidates for Providence Public Schools Department. Please read more about Skills for Rhode Island’s Future at the end of this job description.
COMPANY NAME: Providence Public Schools Department
JOB TITLE: Substitute Teacher Assistant
LOCATION: Providence, RI
HOURS: Per-Diem FT/PT
- The teacher assistant reports directly to the Principal and works under the guidance and supervision of the principal or his designee. The teacher assistant maintains a cooperative staff relationship with all personnel working within the educational setting.
- The duties of the teacher assistant encompass a broad spectrum and include, but are not limited to the following:
- Participate in daily and long-range lesson and classroom activity planning.
- Conduct learning exercises with small groups of students.
- Guide students in developing positive relationships with peers and adults.
- Assist with the supervision of pupils in the classroom, corridors, schoolyards, lavatories, cafeterias, etc... and on field trips.
- Assist Pre-K students with toileting, dressing, feeding and self-care, which may include diaper changes.
- Alert the teacher to any special needs of individual students.
- Collect and distribute educational materials.
- With teacher supervision, correct students work and prescribe additional work to remediate student’s weaknesses.
- Operate machines that duplicate or copy information for distribution to pupils.
- Assist the teacher to meet many personal and physical needs of the child.
- Under teacher supervision, participate in discipline procedures and prescribe consequences for student behavior.
- Assist teacher in devising special strategies for reinforcing behavior or academic skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interests, and abilities.
- Serve as the chief source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the regular teacher.
- Commit to attending ongoing professional development sessions; such as those offered by RIDE, the Providence School Department, and Local Union 1033.
- Perform additional teacher assistant duties as requested.
Successful candidates will have:
- Teacher Assistant Training Program Certificate
- Must have the knowledge and skills to build positive relationships with people from diverse populations
- Commitment to the mission and vision of PPSD and the relevance of job functions to that mission and vision
- Education: Associate Degree, or 48 College Credits, or a passing score of 461 on the Para Pro Test; and pass an English proficiency test; and a Certificate of Completion of an approved Teacher Assistant Training Program, in addition to one of the above; or a Bachelor’s Degree that meets RIDE Standards.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and a full job description, please visit Skills for Rhode Island’s Future website at www.skillsforri.com/jobs. Applicants interested in this position will be screened by Skills for Rhode Island’s Future and Providence Public Schools Department will make the final hiring decisions.
WHY APPLY THROUGH SKILLS FOR RHODE ISLAND’ S FUTURE
Our mission is focused on supporting unemployed and underemployed job seekers. Our goal is to get you back to work. Skills for Rhode Island’s Future’s team will guide and provide you with support throughout the hiring process.
Skills for Rhode Island’s Future has agreements with employers to recruit talent like you, making us a resource to get the unemployed and underemployed job seeker back to work.