797 Westminster St.
Job Number: 1840
Skills for Rhode Island’ s Future is recruiting candidates for Providence Public Schools Department. Please read more about Skills for Rhode Island’ s Future at the end of this job description.
COMPANY NAME: Providence Public Schools Department
JOB TITLE: Substitute Teacher Assistant
LOCATION: Providence, RI
HOURS: Per-Diem FT/PT
- The teacher assistant reports directly to the Principal and works under the guidance and supervision of the principal or his designee. The teacher assistant maintains a cooperative staff relationship with all personnel working within the educational setting.
- The duties of the teacher assistant encompass a broad spectrum and include, but are not limited to the following:
- Participate in daily and long-range lesson and classroom activity planning.
- Conduct learning exercises with small groups of students.
- Guide students in developing positive relationships with peers and adults.
- Assist with the supervision of pupils in the classroom, corridors, schoolyards, lavatories,
- cafeterias, etc... and on field trips.
- Assist Pre-K students with toileting, dressing, feeding and self-care, which may include diaper changes.
- Alert the teacher to any special needs of individual students.
- Collect and distribute educational materials.
- With teacher supervision, correct students work and prescribe additional work to remediate student’ s weaknesses.
- Operate machines that duplicate or copy information for distribution to pupils.
- Assist the teacher to meet many personal and physical needs of the child.
- Under teacher supervision, participate in discipline procedures and prescribe consequences for student behavior.
- Assist teacher in devising special strategies for reinforcing behavior or academic skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interests, and abilities.
- Serve as the chief source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the regular teacher.
- Commit to attending ongoing professional development sessions; such as those offered by RIDE, the Providence School Department, and Local Union 1033.
- Perform additional teacher assistant duties as requested.
Successful candidates will have:
- Teacher Assistant Training Program Certificate
- Must have the knowledge and skills to build positive relationships with people from diverse populations
- Commitment to the mission and vision of PPSD and the relevance of job functions to that mission and vision
- Education: Associate Degree, or 48 College Credits, or a passing score of 461 on the Para Pro Test; and pass an English proficiency test; and a Certificate of Completion of an approved Teacher Assistant Training Program, in addition to one of the above; or a Bachelor’ s Degree that meets RIDE Standards.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and a full job description, please visit Skills for Rhode Island’ s Future website at www.skillsforri.com/jobs. Applicants interested in this position will be screened by Skills for Rhode Island’ s Future and Providence Public Schools Department will make the final hiring decisions.
WHY APPLY THROUGH SKILLS FOR RHODE ISLAND’ S FUTURE
Our mission is focused on supporting unemployed and underemployed job seekers. Our goal is to get you back to work. Skills for Rhode Island’ s Future’ s team will guide and provide you with support throughout the hiring process.
Skills for Rhode Island’ s Future has agreements with employers to recruit talent like you, making us a resource to get the unemployed and underemployed job seeker back to work.