797 Westminster St.
Job Number: 1842
Skills for Rhode Island’ s Future is recruiting candidates for Providence Public Schools Department. Please read more about Skills for Rhode Island’ s Future at the end of this job description.
COMPANY NAME: Providence Public Schools Department
JOB TITLE: Crossing Guard
LOCATION: Providence, RI
HOURS: Per-Diem FT/PT
- Works under the supervision of the Support Service Administrator of Providence Public Schools, this position provides child pedestrian safety by facilitating safe passage of school children across high traffic streets and intersections. This position requires serious commitment to be at the Crossing Guard post/corner on each school day, before and after school hours.
- Assembles children and other pedestrians behind curb lines awaiting traffic lulls or signal changes
- Interrupts traffic and escorts pedestrians into the street allowing them to cross safely
- Instructs children in proper procedures for safe street crossing
- Observes vehicle movements and, safety permitting, records license numbers of vehicles whose drivers are jeopardizing safe street crossing by operating their vehicles in an unsafe manner and reports them to the Police Department
- Reports students who do not adhere to safe street crossing procedures to appropriate school officials
- Must have a viable means of transportation
- Must have the ability to work independently
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level
Successful candidates will have:
- Must possess stamina to stand for long periods of time, mobility to escort pedestrians across streets; ability to work out of doors in all weather conditions and with exposure to traffic; vision to read printed materials and license plates, and hearing and speech to communicate in person.
- Knowledge of basic safety rules; basic safe driving rules and procedures; and techniques for communicating with children and adults.
- Ability to obtain the attention and cooperation of school children and other pedestrians; observing and recording license numbers and incident details accurately; following oral and written directions; and communicating and acting effectively with co-workers, the administrator, and the general public.
- Must complete a 3 ½ hour police training with Rick Sullivan and the Administrator of Support Services.
- Must complete and get evaluated on a 7 day on the road training with a veteran crossing guard.
- Must have the knowledge and skills to build positive relationships with people from diverse populations
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and a full job description, please visit Skills for Rhode Island’ s Future website at www.skillsforri.com/jobs. Applicants interested in this position will be screened by Skills for Rhode Island’ s Future and Providence Public Schools Department will make the final hiring decisions.
WHY APPLY THROUGH SKILLS FOR RHODE ISLAND’ S FUTURE
Our mission is focused on supporting unemployed and underemployed job seekers. Our goal is to get you back to work. Skills for Rhode Island’ s Future’ s team will guide and provide you with support throughout the hiring process.
Skills for Rhode Island’ s Future has agreements with employers to recruit talent like you, making us a resource to get the unemployed and underemployed job seeker back to work.