45 Willard Ave Providence, RI 02905
Skills for Rhode Island’s Future is recruiting candidates for Care New England. Please read more about Skills for Rhode Island’s Future at the end of this job description.
COMPANY NAME: Care New England
JOB TITLE: Substance Abuse Specialist
LOCATION: Providence, RI
HOURS: Full Time, 1st Shift
- Treat consumers with respect.
- Provide supportive counseling, problem solving, contracts, and limit setting.
- Assess consumers' unmet needs (psychological, physical, housing, and psychiatric).
- Establish attainable goals with the consumer.
- Use positive reinforcement and encouragement.
- Involve consumers, community providers, family members and other supports (as clinically appropriate) in treatment and discharge planning.
- Assist consumers in deciding which areas they want to address.
- Assist consumers with linkage to community based services and supports.
- Initiate treatment and advocate for consumer within network of care.
- Schedule appointments for consumers within The Center and with outside agencies.
- Assist consumers with benefits acquisition (social security supplemental insurance (SSI), food stamps, advocates office, medical doctor).
- Complete required interagency and other necessary paperwork.
- Encourage consumers to attain the highest possible levels of independence.
- Accept the values and lifestyles of consumers.
- Use a flexible approach with a diverse population.
- Participate as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in the development and implementation of therapeutic services, to include working with individuals with substance use disorders, mental illness, and/or trauma related issues, as it relates to case management.
- Work with consumer to develop recovery oriented life skills.
- Assess clinical emergencies, including suicide and danger to others.
- Provide appropriate crisis interventions and risk management as needed.
- Perform in a calm and professional manner during crisis or emergency situations.
- Identify substance abuse treatment interventions with staff and consumers.
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance with center policy and legal requirements.
- Develop and implement a plan of care with ongoing consumer input.
- Apply knowledge of Psychiatric Diagnosis (DSM 5) and ASAM criteria.
- Apply knowledge of substance abuse and primary methodologies of substance abuse treatment.
- Identify specific therapeutic interventions appropriate for specific problems.
- Consult with Social Work, Nursing or Psychiatric staff in daily team meetings and when clinically indicated.
- Make referrals for residential treatment, Intensive Outpatient, GOP or CSP as clinically indicated.
- Educate staff on and communicate about community resources.
- Assemble reference materials on dual diagnosis issues.
- Assess and provide individual and/or group substance abuse counseling.
- Complete progress notes with appropriate format.
- Monitor confidentiality in accordance with Center policy and legal requirements.
- Follow required office procedures in a cooperative manner.
- Initiate and process incident reports as per Center guidelines.
- Adhere to Infection Control protocols.
Maintain cooperative relationships with Center staff, consumers, community agencies and the public.
- Communicate with various local agencies and other departments or teams at The Center.
- Work in cooperation with co-workers and supervisory staff.
- Deal with team members regarding problems in a constructive manner.
- Accept and use direction and supervision.
- Provide feedback to staff on the content of educational programs attended.
- Attend mandatory in-service trainings and other trainings required.
Successful candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in social work of Human Services or related field.
- Two years experience in substance abuse therapy, as well as experience dealing with the dually diagnosed.
- Must have awareness of the general trends in confronting the problems of substance abuse.
- Must have valid driver's license and insured auto.
- PCDP/LCDP or eligible for same within 6 months of hire.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays if needed to cover the program when unforeseen circumstances arise to ensure daily coverage.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and a full job description, please visit Skills for Rhode Island’s Future website at www.skillsforri.com/jobs. Applicants interested in this position will be screened by Skills for Rhode Island’s Future and Care New England will make the final hiring decisions.
WHY APPLY THROUGH SKILLS FOR RHODE ISLAND’S FUTURE
Our mission is focused on supporting unemployed and underemployed job seekers. Our goal is to get you back to work. Skills for Rhode Island’s Future’s team will guide and provide you with support throughout the hiring process.
Skills for Rhode Island’s Future has agreements with employers to recruit talent like you, making us a resource to get the unemployed and underemployed job seeker back to work.