45 Willard Ave Providence, RI 02905
Skills for Rhode Island’s Future is recruiting candidates for Care New England. Please read more about Skills for Rhode Island’s Future at the end of this job description.
COMPANY NAME: Care New England
JOB TITLE: Special Education Teacher
LOCATION: Providence, RI
HOURS: Full Time, 1st Shift
- Create learning experience using a broad base of general knowledge that reflects an understanding of the nature of the world in which we live.
- Create learning experiences that reflect an understanding of the central concepts, structures, and tools of the inquiry of the disciplines they teach.
- Create instructional opportunities that reflect an understanding of how children learn and develop.
- Create instructional opportunities that reflect a respect for the diversity of learners and an understanding of how students differ in their approaches to learning.
- Create instructional opportunities to encourage students' development of critical thinking, problem solving, and performance skills.
- Create a learning environment that encourages appropriate standards of behavior, positive social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation.
- Foster collaborative relationships with colleagues and families to support students' learning.
- Use effective communication as the vehicle through which students explore, conjecture, discuss, and investigate new ideas.
- Use a variety of formal and informal assessment strategies to support the continuous development of the learner, completing triennial educational evaluations as assigned.
- Reflect on their practice and assume responsibility for their own professional development by actively seeking opportunities to learn and grow as professionals.
- Complete progress notes weekly, reporting both educational and behavioral data.
- Develop and implement IEP's with IEP team input.
- Participate with Treatment Team in conducting functional assessments of students’ behaviors, developing specific behavior support plans, implementing behavior interventions, and recording behavior data to measure progress.
- Complete required reports and evaluations (IEP progress reports, grade cards, transition plans, and discharge summaries).
- Maintain professional standards guided by legal and ethical principles.
- Complete six month and annual evaluation of Teaching Assistant(s) as assigned.
- Collaborate with Lead Teacher regarding TA performance evaluations and goals.
- Demonstrate knowledge of universal health precautions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of lifting techniques.
- Participate in sustaining a clean, health, and safe learning environment.
- Recognize indicators of abuse (substance, physical, sexual, emotional) and demonstrate knowledge of RI reporting laws.
- Apply appropriate procedures regarding crisis management, including de-escalation procedures, therapeutic holds, time out, restraint, and seclusion.
- Complete and maintain required certifications such as CPR, First Aid, Crisis Management (Restraint), Teacher Certification, etc.
- Complete required training (initial and refreshers) in crisis management.
- Implement/perform appropriate crisis management techniques, including de-escalation procedures, therapeutic holds, time out, restraint (individually or with other staff), and seclusion according to policy and procedural guidelines and criteria for use.
- Maintain regular contact through notes and phone calls.
- Incorporate family into education and therapeutic process.
- Conduct periodic home visits.
-Support family in developing positive relationships with child.
- Intervene in a calm and timely manner to prevent behaviors from escalating.
- Implement prescribed de-escalation procedures.
- Use physical management procedures in accordance with training model guidelines, Center policies, and clients’ behavior management plans.
- Provide clients with the opportunity to debrief following the incident, as appropriate.
- Document crisis interventions in accordance with Center guidelines.
- Drive carefully and abide by traffic rules.
- Ensure that seat belts are worn by all traveling while traveling in Center or employee owned vehicles.
- Maintain ethical and confidential standards in accordance with Center and state regulations.
- Follow required office procedures in a cooperative manner.
- Initiate and process incident reports as per Center guidelines.
- Adhere to Infection Control protocols.
- Complete required documentation of crisis management procedures in a timely manner.
- Communicate with various local agencies and other departments at The Center.
- Work in cooperation with co-workers and supervisory staff.
- Deal with co-workers regarding problems in a constructive manner.
- Accept and use direction and supervision.
- Benefit from constructive criticism and participate in developing corrective action plans as needed.
- Provide feedback to staff on the content of educational programs attended.
- Attend mandatory in-service trainings and other trainings required.
- Serve as a liaison with Providence Center therapists, program, and community agencies.
- Maintain active involvement in professional and lay educational and/or mental health organizations in the community.
Successful candidates will have:
- Bachelor's degree in Special Education required. 3 years prior special education or clinical experience.
- Experience with special needs children preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret, professional journals and other documents.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from students, parents, siblings and other Center staff.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- RI Special Education certification required, as well as Early childhood and/or elementary and/or middle school and/or secondary certification.
- Valid drivers license and valid auto insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and a full job description, please visit Skills for Rhode Island’s Future website at www.skillsforri.com/jobs. Applicants interested in this position will be screened by Skills for Rhode Island’s Future and Care New England will make the final hiring decisions.
WHY APPLY THROUGH SKILLS FOR RHODE ISLAND’S FUTURE
Our mission is focused on supporting unemployed and underemployed job seekers. Our goal is to get you back to work. Skills for Rhode Island’s Future’s team will guide and provide you with support throughout the hiring process.
Skills for Rhode Island’s Future has agreements with employers to recruit talent like you, making us a resource to get the unemployed and underemployed job seeker back to work.