Bookkeeper (Small Business) Job Description
Skills for Rhode Island’s Future (SkillsRI) is a nonprofit workforce intermediary working to break down barriers to economic opportunity by connecting unemployed and underemployed Rhode Islanders to jobs with socially responsible, civic-minded employers through a proven demand-driven approach. SkillsRl's multi-faceted approach focuses on providing a continuum of career services to help those who face barriers to employment succeed in the workplace. Diversity, equity, and inclusion is at the heart of the SkillsRI’s model, and we have proven to be incredibly effective at recruiting and placing individuals with barriers into employment.
Our Mission: Create demand-driven solutions for employers to get the unemployed and underemployed back to work.
Our Vision: Transforming lives through meaningful employment and economic mobility.
Our Values: Collaboration, Excellence, Integrity, Innovation, Respect
The Bookkeeper will be a member of SkillsRI’s Shared Services team providing assistance to small businesses and aspiring entrepreneurs. The Bookkeeper will ensure the efficient operation of the shared services team, setting accounting mechanisms for new and existing Small Business Resource Hub employer partners.
The Small Business Resource Hub aims to?facilitate?the growth and development of women, veteran, people with disabilities, and minority-owned businesses by supporting?small?businesses become long-term,?qualified?entities capable of competing?and growing.??
- Maintain records of financial transactions of Small Business Resource Hub employer partners by establishing accounts, posting transactions, and ensuring compliance.
- Develop system to account for financial transactions by establishing account charting.
- Define bookkeeping policies and procedures for Small Business Resource Hub employer partners.
- Maintain subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, and posting transactions for Small Business Resource Hub employer partners.
- Maintain general ledger by transferring subsidiary account summaries.
- Maintain Small Business Resource Hub employer partner historical records by filing documents.
- Reconcile sales taxes, payroll taxes, 401k, and bank accounts for Small Business Resource Hub employer partners at the end of each month.
- Prepare financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying requirements.
- Advise Small Business Resource Hub employer partners on needed actions pertaining to compliance.
- Develop systems to account for financial transactions.
- Monitor for variances in Small Business Resource Hub employer partners’ projected budgets.
- Advise Small Business Resource Hub employer partners on activities such as running payroll and generating invoices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Passion for the mission of SkillsRI and enthusiasm for its success.
- Comfort with - and enthusiasm for - working in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work while accomplishing goals under tight time constraints.
- Ability to communicate professionally across a broad range of constituent groups.
- Strong interpersonal skills including relationship building, customer service, empathy, and resilience.
- Ambitious, proactive, and detail-oriented.
- Strong documentation skills, and able to make connections between similar problems.
- Willingness to work hard, maintain a positive attitude, and overcome challenges.
- Solution-oriented problem-solving skills with the ability to prioritize according to business goals.
- Conviction, integrity, honesty, and maturity in all situations.
- At least two years of related experience (related experience with small businesses desired).
- Demonstrated experience working with people of different backgrounds and experiences.
- Bilingual (Spanish or other languages preferred).
Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Bookkeeper is a grant-funded position. While not expected, should there be a substantial reduction in funding or should funding cease, this position may be eliminated by SkillsRI.
For more information about Skills for Rhode Island’s Future, please visit www.skillsforri.com.