Skills for Rhode Island’s Future is recruiting Medical Assistants. Please read more about Skills for Rhode Island’s Future at the end of this job description.
JOB TITLE: Medical Assistant
LOCATION: Rhode Island
- Works effectively and respectfully at his/her highest capabilities and training.
- Follows the practice, clinic or office workflow protocols to maximize quality and efficiency.
- Performs pre-visit planning by reviewing and updating the patient record prior to the appointment with recent test results, consults, correspondence, etc. and determines needed services based on practice protocols. Communicates point of care reminders to providers via the electronic medical record (EMR).
- Prepares patients for examination and treatment in accordance to their clinic specific workflow protocol, by escorting from the waiting area to the exam room. Takes vital signs, weighs patients and records in patient chart. Enters in patient chief complaint, medication reconciliation, histories and other services as outlined in workflow protocol. Notes all patient health concerns into EMR. Record the patient pain score. Completes all questionnaires in the patient’s chart.
- Ensures effectively patient flow throughout the practice, clinic and office.
- Reviews Health Maintenance and Chronic Illness services and performs/orders according to protocols and standing orders.
- Performs testing procedures such as blood pressure, EKG, pulse oximetry, Hgb A1-C, glucose, urinalysis, urine hcg, rapid strep test, and other point of care tests.
- Records allergy information medications, medical, surgical, and family histories in the patient chart. Initiates pharmacy benefits verification.
- Assists physician with physical examinations. Performs all procedures using aseptic techniques, following standard procedures.
- Assists provider with all physical examinations. Performs all procedures using aseptic techniques, following standard procedures.
- Administers vaccines and places PPDs as per practice/clinic protocol.
- Completes appropriate follow-up up work after visit including, but not limited to, ensuring all blood and specimens are properly labeled, recorded and sent to lab.
- Follows up to ensure all lab results are entered in the medical record. Tracks orders and results. Contacts patients for outreach and reminders for labs/orders. Updates EMR with status. Reports all abnormal lab results to physician or nurse immediately.
- Follows up on referrals for specialty care and/or other services. Tracks consult reports and ensures EMR is updated accordingly. Contacts patients for outreach and/or reminders for referrals.
- Checks for prescription refills pending.
- Ensures examination room is cleaned between each patient and set-up appropriately for next appointment.
- Thoroughly explains programs, procedures and correct preparation for various tests and exams. Provides education to patients regarding the importance of coordination of care and the prudent use of emergency rooms when seeking care. Documents identified barriers.
- Schedules tests and follow-up appointments. Pre-registers patient for next visit. Verifies patient demographic and insurance information. Obtains prior authorizations as needed.
- Monitors and orders supplies and keeps room stocked. Cleans medical equipment. Reports broken or missing equipment to manager immediately. Ensures exam rooms are prepared for each patient. Checks expiration dates on medications and supplies, removes and reports expired medication to Practice or Clinic Management.
- Assists with administrative office duties. Mails reminders and other letters to patients.
- Manages time effectively. Fills slow periods with activities to prepare for future needs. Minimizes non-productive time.
- Maintains quality assurance, safety, environmental, and infection control in accordance with established hospital department policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Protects and preserves the patient’s right to privacy and confidentiality.
Maintains a position attitude and actively engages in the team approach of caring for patients.
- Supports the goals and concepts of the patient centered medical home by demonstrating flexibility and willingness to change.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Successful candidates will have:
- High School graduate or equivalent required.
- Able to read, write and speak English.
- Basic Life Support Certification required.
- Completion of a medical assistant certification preferred.
- Graduate of a formal medical assistant training program or a minimum of 3 years of medical assistant experience required.
- Exceptions to the above requirements may be considered for applicants who do not have formal medical assistant training, but have at least three years of related experience in a comparable role, such as LPN, medical student, EMT, paramedic, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and a full job description, please visit Skills for Rhode Island’s Future website at www.skillsforri.com/jobs. Applicants interested in this position will be screened by Skills for Rhode Island’s Future and the company will make the final hiring decisions.
WHY APPLY THROUGH SKILLS FOR RHODE ISLAND’S FUTURE
Our mission is focused on supporting unemployed and underemployed job seekers. Our goal is to get you back to work. Skills for Rhode Island’s Future’s team will guide and provide you with support throughout the hiring process.
Skills for Rhode Island’s Future has agreements with employers to recruit talent like you, making us a resource to get the unemployed and underemployed job seeker back to work.