Skills for Rhode Island’s Future is recruiting candidates for Brown University. Please read more about Skills for Rhode Island’s Future at the end of this job description.
COMPANY NAME: Brown University
JOB TITLE: Cook I
LOCATION: Providence, RI
Hours: Full-time, Third shift
As a member of the production team and under general supervision, handles the production and service of the menu of the day and/or catering meals using established procedures and standardized recipes while observing the highest standards of sanitation, safety and quality assurance.
- Knows the principles of and correctly performs basic culinary skills such as vegetable and fruit preparation and cookery; salad and salad dressing preparation; egg cookery and grill work; sandwich and filling preparation and assembly; stock and soup cookery; basic sauce preparation; basic garde-manager plus buffet service; garnishing; sautéing; breading and deep fat frying; meat, poultry and fish cutting, broiling, roasting, braising, boiling, glazing, and stewing; and preparation of simple desserts such as pudding, whipped cream, and bake-off items.
- Format and follow standardized recipes and procedures, while observing standard holding and serving times and temperatures.
- Coordinates the efforts of others in accomplishing simple tasks and assists subordinates in successfully accomplishing tasks.
- Required to stand for extended periods; walk; sit, bend; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, use hands to finger, handle, slice, dice, chop, or feel objects, knives, tools, climb stairs.
- Must occasionally lift or move products and supplies up to 50 pounds.
- Push and/or pull carts weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must consistently utilize all Personal Protective Equipment per Brown Dining Services guidelines
- Must wear a cut resistance glove whenever using a sharp or potentially sharp tool or instrument.
- Frequently moves about campus to various locations for catering events.
- Ability to tolerate extremes of heat and cold;
- Ability to operate all kitchen equipment correctly and safely.
- Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English
- Basic math skills which render candidate capable of converting recipes and making volume-weight conversions
- Ability to understand symbols of weight and measure;
- One- year experience as a Cook’s Helper or experience that demonstrates mastery of the tasks of cook as described below
- Two years post-secondary culinary school attendance preferred not required
- Possess a willingness to promote a diverse and inclusive campus community
How to Apply
For more information and a full job description, please visit Skills for Rhode Island’s Future website at www.skillsforri.com/jobs. Applicants interested in this position will be screened by Skills for Rhode Island’s Future and Brown University will make the final hiring decisions.
Why Apply Through Skills for Rhode Island’s Future
Our mission is focused on supporting unemployed and underemployed job seekers. Our goal is to get you back to work. Skills for Rhode Island’s Future’s team will guide and provide you with support throughout the hiring process. Skills for Rhode Island’s Future has agreements with to recruit talent like you, making us a resource to get the unemployed and underemployed job seeker back to work.