Skills for Rhode Island’s Future is recruiting candidates for Brown Medicine. Please read more about Skills for Rhode Island’s Future at the end of this job description.
COMPANY NAME: Brown Medicine
JOB TITLE: Medical Assistant
LOCATION: East Providence and Warwick, Rhode Island
HOURS: Monday-Friday 8:30 AM-5:00 PM
Perform selected clinical duties that assist in the delivery of patient care management to the degree of training and as delegated by Practice Manager, practice physician(s), nurse practitioner(s), physician assistant(s) or nurse(s). Maintains efficient clinical operations, following Brown Medicine’s electronic medical record (EMR) and Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) workflow protocols.
- Follow established Brown Medicine EMR workflow protocols to maximize site’s productivity and office flow efficiency.
- Prepare exam and/or treatment rooms with necessary equipment and supplies for examination or treatment.
- Access all clinical information through the EMR. Check for outstanding labs, x-rays, consults, etc. Review previous office note to determine tests required at time of service. Communicate any outstanding needs.
- Prepare patient for examination and/or treatment obtaining vital signs such as blood pressure, pulse, temperature, respirations and weight and height. Record vital signs and update medication list.
- Perform testing procedures relative to appropriate training and demands of specialty such as EKGs, spirometry, tympanograms, PFTs, audiometry, U/A, pregnancy testing, throat cultures, blood glucose, Hgb A1- C, coumadin levels, monofilament testing, etc.
- Assist physician in preparing for procedures to specialty (i.e. physicals, pap smears, minor surgeries, sigmoidoscopy, etc.). Maintains sterile technique as appropriate.
- Under physician supervision draw up and administer injections.
- Check for refills pending on system. Load medications as per specific office protocol/physician request.
- Maintain, stock and clean examination rooms.
- Review medical record and perform all clinical functions and testing as per approved protocol and standing orders.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of chronic conditions, especially diabetes, CAD and depression and Evidence Based Guidelines (EBG), as related to these conditions
- Demonstrate knowledge and competence in Evidence Based guidelines (EBG) and population management and proficiency reviewing clinical quality reports and performing follow-up with patients, providers, specialists, outside facilities and community organizations to best meet the care team's goals and objectives
- Demonstrate proficiency in written and verbal communications with all other health team members regarding any pertinent clinical issues and follow-up with patient to include daily huddles, pre-visit planning, follow-up on clinical quality reports and dissemination of information to the patient as per order of the provider and documentation of all communications in the EMR
- Perform medication review as per protocol on every patient and make changes in EMR as appropriate.
- Demonstrate competence in performing Motivational Interviewing to facilitate development and follow-up of Self-Management Goals (SMG), determining readiness for change and working with patient in identifying and resolving barriers to change.
- Provide education to patients on the goals and mission of Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH), to include the importance of coordination of all care by the PCP, and prudent use of emergency rooms when seeking care.
- Facilitate patient activation and encourage patient to be an active, informed member of the care team and provide tools necessary to assist patients in meeting their healthcare goals.
- Participate as an active member of the care team and assume duties/responsibilities to facilitate ongoing care coordination, follow-up and reporting/documentation to improve clinical outcomes.
- Display strong sense of teamwork in daily interactions with all internal and external members of the care team to provide ongoing support for all aspects of the patient's care.
- Demonstrate active participation as part of the care team to provide care and communication to the patient on an ongoing basis as the need arises and in the interim ~ between appointments. Ensures that the patient is prepared, and we have all the pertinent health information prior to the patient arriving for their appointments.
- Actively supports the goals and concepts of the PCMH and practice transformation by demonstrating flexibility and willingness to change and participates in ongoing, clinical quality improvement.
- Maintain equipment and report broken or missing equipment to manager as soon as possible.
- Reduce inquiries to others when information is readily available through other means.
- Willingly learns new skills, procedures, protocols as they are introduced; attends training and masters new software programs.
- Consistently demonstrate ability to respond to changing situations in a flexible manner in order to meet current needs, such as reprioritizing work as necessary.
- Minimize non-productive time and fill slow periods with activities that will enable you to prepare to meet future needs of the office (organizing, housekeeping, assisting others, etc.).
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Attend required meetings and training sessions.
- Maintain all licensures / certifications / OSHA training.
- May perform duties of Medical Secretary.
- Demonstrate flexibility to perform duties wherever volume deems it necessary within the office.
Successful candidates will have:
- Prefer a minimum of one-year experience working in a medical setting. Prefer experience with EMR software and medical scheduling software.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Graduate of a Medical Assistant Program or one-year experience gained through prior employment in a medical practice.
- National certification preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and a full job description, please visit Skills for Rhode Island’s Future website at www.skillsforri.com/jobs. Applicants interested in this position will be screened by Skills for Rhode Island’s Future and Brown Medicine will make the final hiring decisions.
WHY APPLY THROUGH SKILLS FOR RHODE ISLAND’S FUTURE
Our mission is focused on supporting unemployed and underemployed job seekers. Our goal is to get you back to work. Skills for Rhode Island’s Future’s team will guide and provide you with support throughout the hiring.